Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Some Like It Hot

I'm not one of those people.  After leaving California's Central Valley (90-105 F summers) for more temperate climates further south in LA area (70-80 F year round), my ability to cope with uncomfortable heat evaporated.  Then, what little heat adaptability I had left completely disappeared when I later moved to the SF Bay area (65 F in July).  The one thing that has remained constant across geography and time, is my ability to consume large amounts of ice cream regardless of air temperature.  It is a talent I inherited from my father and a skill I've continued to hone over the decades through rigorous and focused training.    

So given that today is one of the hottest days so far since moving to Philly I decided I should make some ice cream.  Then I decided, since I'd probably eat all of it, I should make sherbet.  Plus, milk is cheaper, sherbet is faster, and I have bigger plans for the pint of cream sitting in my fridge.  
Technically these are pluots, but let's not get too snobby.
I decided on Plum Buttermilk Sherbet.  After Googling for a bit, I triangulated a loose approach to throwing a batch together, but I wouldn't say it was a recipe per se.  A recipe for a frozen delight can be easier to develop than say, a cake recipe, but you still have to balance several factors.  And, I'm not talking just about taste, though that is clearly important, I'm talking about getting the right texture once it's frozen.  I've seen freshly churned ice cream enter a freezer and I've seen both concrete bricks and slushies exit a few hours later (none of mine...I swear). So here is a quick run down on the usual suspects without getting too technical.

1. Sugar: A higher proportion of sugar lowers the freezing point of the mix.  You put too much sugar in, it will not freeze properly.  Too little and you've got an ice cube, or a popsicle, which fortunately is also delicious.

2. Fat: Fats have high freezing points.  Just think about what happens when you put some oils in the fridge, they harden.  So, too much fat may lead to an ice cream that may be too hard and chalky...and will probably feel fatty on the roof of your mouth.  

3. Alcohol:  Anti-freeze is made of alcohol, so besides flavoring your frozen treat, all that rum/vodka/bourbon also makes it softer.  Too much liquor can make it a slushy, so don't get too boozy if you want something scoopable.

4. Thickeners:  This one is weird, I realize, but hear me out.  Good texture is mainly dominated by small ice crystal size.  A thicker sorbet base will keep some of the ice crystals from getting too big as the mixture hardens in the freezer.  These more viscous bases can incorporate more air (think apple sauce versus apple juice), and more air means a more frothy or "creamier" scoop.  This is especially important for sorbets which--gasp--sometimes contain egg whites or gelatin for increased creaminess and improved texture.  The story gets more complicated with custard-based ice cream because of more milk solids, fat, egg yolk etc.  That's for another time, we don't want anyone falling asleep now.

5. Water:  All of the components listed above, in essence, allow you to tweak the way water freezes.  So if you want the opposite affect of everything above, add more water.  Clearly this dilutes flavor, use sparingly.

With all that in our apron pocket, time to mix!
Put it all in the blender and use a scale
...no washing measuring cups and spatulas!
A little corn syrup is not evil (more viscosity = better texture)
After tasting over and over again while slowly adding
the sugar (the little triangle symbol), this is the "recipe"
A few pinches = Flavor Country
Side note: I once heard a savory chef who was moonlighting as a pastry chef say that "Vanilla is the 'salt' of the pastry world" and he added vanilla to EVERYTHING.  I now know where he got it, and I love & respect David Lebovitz, but I don't think that line is true.  Vanilla is very useful, but salt is the 'salt' of the pastry world, and if used properly, it will enhance most desserts.  
If you don't have this texture in 15-20 minutes of
churning in a home machine...something is wrong.
Done! About 23 minutes for me.
The Results:  Tasty and scoopable.  A little on the sweeter side of perfect, which also put it on the softer side as well, but it paired well with some fresh blueberries.  Texture is light and creamy, and the buttermilk provided nice acidity.

Verdict: I'd make it again, but I'd employ a few tweaks.  You could add another 2-3 tart plums to balance the sugar and add more color.  If you don't like things too sweet, and don't mind the alcohol, you could probably cut 50-75g of sugar and add 1T of vodka.  

Alright, back to training...



No comments:

Post a Comment