Monday, August 26, 2013

Restarting my kitchen (blog)

Davao Gulf, Philippines
After traveling over two oceans this summer, moving thousands of miles across the country, and unpacking countless illegibly labeled boxes, I was finally able to bake in my new home today.  

Of course I couldn't get started until my groceries were delivered.  Yes, I know, for shame.  I am unwilling, and probably unable, to carry 20 pounds of sugar and flour more than four blocks.  So FreshDirect, I thank you, and sorry you had to dodge the Philadelphia parking authority a few times.  
The delivery guy said the parking authority lady was lying in wait behind some bushes...watch out.
I don't plan on having fruits and vegetables delivered because the value just isn't there, but when it comes to fully stocking one's baking arsenal, it really is a no brainer, especially with the waived delivery fee for first time customers.  It's super easy to order, and they have a better selection than you'd expect, especially for cheese!  (I picked up some Rouge et Noir brie, anyone want to party?)  Alright, enough plugging the delivery guys and admitting laziness on my part.  To the baking!

After pinging my food partner in crime, Liz, for an idea that didn't require too many fancy ingredients, she suggested pound cake.  Ah, a perfect baking season opener.  

I already had a recipe in mind that I had found last week while trolling on MarthaStewart.com's blackberry recipe album.  However, since good blackberries are hard to find, and bad ones are truly disgusting and painfully disappointing, I went with raspberries. Plus they were super cheap at TJs this week--bonus!



The Original Recipe: Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Blackberry-Swirl Poundcake

Tweaks: 
1. Raspberries for Blackberries
2. No sour cream on hand, replaced with 50/50 buttermilk/greek yogurt
3. Added zest of one lemon

Method: Basic Creaming, alternating dry and wet ingredients, fold in berry puree 

Notes & Tips:  
1. When zest is called for in a recipe, add it to the creaming step.  The friction of the sugar will draw out more oils (flavor) than if you add it later on.
Make life easy on yourself, and your mixer, and use room temp butter

2. If you have a stick or hand blender use that instead of food processor for the berry puree.  Less cleanup & faster.
I almost abandoned the whole project to eat this straight with a spoon

3. Typically poundcake has very little chemical leavener, in this case baking powder, because the main leavening action is the physical aeration that occurs during the creaming step.  Plus it's supposed to have a denser crumb by tradition.  The 1/4 teaspoon listed in this recipe is "insurance", and unnecessary as long as you beat the crap out of the room temperature butter and sugar.  It should be fluffy and white before adding the eggs.  Once the eggs are in, no more aeration.
Fairly even crumb.  Not bad.
The Results: A well-textured cake, slightly dense like you'd expect a poundcake to be, but not too dense, and definitely not dry.  I appreciated that it wasn't too sweet either.  I think it would make a good gift and would pair well with some vanilla ice cream or whipped cream for a true dessert.  Also, if you wanted to be super efficient (read: lazy) you could probably use any loose or thinned jam in place of fresh fruit puree.

Verdict: I'd make it again.  Maybe next time with cranberries and orange zest.  


And Sean, who usually gravitates more towards chocolately items, even tried it.
Back in April, I distinctly remember thinking I wasn't going to feel at home until I stopped living out of suitcases and was able to make something in an oven.  I have to say, I haven't fully acclimatized to everything in Philly (the humidity, no car, nighttime swimming, um...more humidity), but it's starting to feel pretty good otherwise.


Roma!

No comments:

Post a Comment